NEWS

Southern Security Commander Survives Ambush in Abyan

South24 Center

19-08-2026 الساعة 5 مساءً بتوقيت عدن

South24 Center (Aden)


A commander in the National Security Forces, formerly known as the Security Belt Forces, survived an armed ambush targeting his vehicle in Al-Wadea District of Abyan Governorate on Wednesday (August 19), as several fronts across South Yemen witnessed renewed military escalation involving drone attacks and exchanges of fire with the Houthis.


A local source told South24 Center that gunmen targeted a vehicle carrying Moqbel Hussein Shambaa, a local commander in the National Security Forces, as it passed through Al-Wadea District. Shambaa sustained a head injury, while one of his escorts was killed and three others were wounded.


South24 Center could not independently verify all details of the incident.


The identity of the attackers remains unconfirmed. Local sources and reports linked the attack to Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), although no official statement had confirmed the group’s responsibility by the time of publication.


The incident coincided with military escalation on several Southern fronts. In Yafa, a soldier from the Southern Armed Forces was killed on Wednesday after a Houthi drone dropped a munition on a position on the Al-Hadd front, according to sources who spoke to South24 Center.


Southern fronts have witnessed repeated drone and mortar attacks in recent days targeting positions in Lahj, Dhalea, Shabwa and Marib, alongside attempted infiltrations toward Beihan, Ain and Merkhah Al-Ulya.


Shabwa Defense Forces said on Wednesday that their drones targeted Houthi positions on the Harib front in Marib Governorate and in the Shabwa districts of Ain, Beihan and Merkhah Al-Ulya, following a Houthi drone attack that killed one of their soldiers.


The Southern Giants Brigades had earlier conducted a live-fire exercise involving reconnaissance and attack drones, air-defense systems and radar networks, in a sign of increased readiness to counter growing aerial threats.


Yemen’s internationally recognized government said its forces carried out 133 military operations on Tuesday against Houthi positions and capabilities using drones, artillery and rocket launchers.


Government forces also announced drone strikes against Houthi positions in Maran in Saada, on the southern Marib front, and in Al-Salu District southeast of Taiz, while saying they had thwarted a Houthi infiltration attempt on the Al-Anin front in Jabal Habashi District.


The Houthis, meanwhile, were accused of targeting Marib with two ballistic missiles and two drones. Explosions were heard north of the city, with no confirmed casualty figures immediately announced.


In Taiz, a military source told South24 Center that explosions were heard alongside aircraft activity, while local authorities in Maqbanah District said a Houthi missile struck a house in Al-Akmah village, causing extensive destruction.


On the West Coast, local reports said three civilians, including a child, were killed after a missile struck farmland east of Al-Khokha in Hodeidah Governorate. Two girls were also reported wounded in a separate drone attack in Hays District.


The developments since Tuesday point to a widening military confrontation without significant changes to frontlines, as drones, missiles and artillery are increasingly being used to strike targets beyond immediate lines of contact.


- South24 Center

الكلمات المفتاحية:

شارك
اشترك في القائمة البريدية

اقرأ أيضا