The Aden Police Department building (AI-enhanced image from the department’s official Facebook page)
24-05-2026 الساعة 7 مساءً بتوقيت عدن
Aden (South24 Center)
Authorities in Aden, South Yemen, have opened an investigation after a video circulated online allegedly showing the sexual abuse of a child, in a case that has sparked widespread outrage and renewed calls for stronger child-protection measures.
Aden Security said on Friday (May 22) that the city’s security chief, Major General Motahar Al-Shuaibi, had ordered the formation of a specialized team to investigate the incident, verify information circulating online, and refer the case file to the Public Prosecution for legal action.
The security department said it would not tolerate any acts that violate “human and moral values” or target children, adding that any proven violations would be dealt with “firmly and responsibly” and without exception.
Authorities also urged citizens to hand over any evidence or information to police stations or judicial bodies, warning against sharing sensitive clips or unverified claims on social media. They said such circulation could harm victims and their families and may affect the course of the investigation.
The case gained wide attention after activist Adel Al-Hasani, who lives outside Yemen and is known for his opposition to the Southern Transitional Council as well as alleged links to Al-Qaeda and the Houthis, posted the video online. Al-Hasani accused a person he described as being linked to a military body of involvement in the incident.
South24 Center could not independently verify the authenticity of the video, the identity of those appearing in it, or the claims regarding military affiliation. Authorities have not yet announced final findings.
The local authority in Aden said on Sunday (May 24) that it was following the case “with great concern” and was in a state of full alert. It added that security agencies and the Public Prosecution had been directed to arrest those involved, complicit, or negligent, and to pursue any suspects in accordance with the law.
As an initial administrative measure, the local authority suspended the director of Al-Mamdara police station. It is believed that a previous file related to the same case had been handled at that police station. The authority said the decision was intended to protect the integrity of the investigation and ensure the credibility of its findings.
The case comes amid sharp political polarization in Aden, the interim capital of Yemen’s internationally recognized government and the main stronghold of the Southern Transitional Council, a southern entity seeking to restore an independent state in South Yemen.
Since the video appeared online, social media users have circulated conflicting claims about the incident, including allegations over the identities of those involved and whether the clip may have been manipulated. No official technical findings have been released so far.
The case has also raised concerns among activists and human rights defenders that a criminal investigation involving a child could become part of Yemen’s wider political conflict. Some have called for separating the legal process from political campaigns and media incitement.
Child-protection advocates say the case exposes gaps in Yemen’s legal and institutional response to crimes of sexual abuse, online exploitation, and digital evidence involving minors.
They called for tougher penalties, clearer procedures for handling sensitive material, and stronger psychological and legal support for victims.
قبل 25 يوم
قبل 3 أشهر