NEWS

Armed Groups Seize Key Oil Sectors in Hadramout

Photo: Armed men standing atop a four-wheel-drive vehicle near one of the oil sectors in Hadramout Valley. (Image: Screenshot from a video circulated by activists close to Bin Habresh)

Last updated on: 29-11-2025 at 10 PM Aden Time

Al-Mukalla (South24)


Ongoing field developments in Hadramout deepened the province’s layered crisis on Saturday November 11, after armed groups affiliated with tribal leader Amr bin Habresh stormed and seized oil sectors belonging to PetroMasila. Military leaders described the move as a “dangerous insurrection” that threatens the stability of one of Yemen’s most important oil-producing regions.


According to corroborated information reported by Xinhua and by local sources close to the armed groups, the armed formations took control of Sectors 14 and 53, which stretch from Seiyun to the vicinity of Ghayl Bin Yamin, following limited clashes with Corporate Security Forces under the Second Military Region. The groups are currently stationed at military posts responsible for safeguarding some of the country’s most vital state-owned oil fields.


Electricity service has been cut for long hours across wide parts of Hadramout in recent days, after the armed groups prevented fuel tankers from reaching power stations. Residents say the latest incursion has worsened their suffering, especially since the province relies on fuel supplied through oil companies to maintain minimal electrical stability.


This development comes more than two years after the Houthi attacks that targeted oil export terminals in Hadramout and Shabwa in late 2022, resulting in a full halt of crude exports—revenues that once accounted for more than 70% of the central government’s budget. There are growing concerns that the latest disruptions could deprive the government of any near-term opportunity to restore its primary sources of revenue, amid a severe economic crisis and ongoing efforts to implement wide-ranging reforms.


In a notable legal move, the competent prosecution office in Hadramout issued compulsory arrest warrants for the leaders of the armed groups involved in the incursions, including Amr bin Habresh and Mubarak al-Ubaithani. The decision was widely interpreted as a clear signal that local authorities view the armed mobilization as an unlawful act that threatens public security.


The Second Military Region described the events as a “serious escalation” targeting facilities considered among Yemenis’ most critical national assets. In its statement, the command said it viewed the incident as an act of rebellion that threatens security and stability, stressing that it would take all necessary measures to protect oil fields and state property.


Local reports indicated military movements and heightened readiness by forces of the Second Military Region and the Hadrami Elite Forces to maintain security, amid concerns that the governorate could slide into an open confrontation between competing local actors.

On Saturday as well, during a broad tribal gathering attended by Hadrami figures, sheikhs, and military and security officials, …it was announced that Khaled Al-Kathiri had been appointed as the new head of the Hadramout Tribes Alliance, succeeding former leader Amr Bin Habresh.


These developments come amid sensitive political changes in Hadramout, most notably the appointment of a new governor. Meanwhile, Presidential Leadership Council member Faraj al-Bahsani warned that the province is entering its most perilous phase in decades - one “that tolerates neither recklessness nor escalation.”

Al-Bahsani condemned the armed groups’ raid on PetroMasila facilities. “No unauthorized tribal groups are permitted to provide security for PetroMasila or to intervene under any circumstances,” he said.


It is worth noting that Houthi attacks on oil export terminals in Shabwa and Hadramout began on 18 October 2022, when the group targeted Al-Nashima terminal in Shabwa with drones, before expanding operations three days later to strike the Al-Dhabba oil terminal in Hadramout, followed by a third attack on the same port in November. These operations resulted in a complete shutdown of Yemen’s crude oil exports and plunged the government into a severe financial crisis whose impacts continue to this day.


Shared Post
Subscribe

Read also